Wednesday, September 22, 2010

#4 : Trance makes you dance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






Okay, so after a long blogging-hiatus, I return to write a bit about the music I heard,and discovered during those weeks (after all, who studies day in and day out for the exams.. oh wait, Sarthak Vaish does). But before that, I wanted to ask you guys this - "How long has it been since you bought a CD?". I really can't remember the last time I bought one (i.e. Gifts not included). With the advent of iTunes and such,let alone illegally downloading CDs via torrents or P2P networks like Limewire, no one would want to make the effort to not download, and go out and buy a record ( like Will Smith suggests in "Switch" ). But even if all did download legally, I'd miss that one thing you got with every CD - the album jacket. 


It's amazing to see some of these and marvel at the effort that goes int making them. Oh and the art is accompanied with lyrics,and the names of the members involved in the composition, even musicians that were for hire and not part of the band,but made the song more special. I wish all these online vendors sold a .PDF document along with the CD. And if I'm not mistaken,apple has already started doing this in the form of a 'booklet'
(You'll see this if you check out an album on iTunes).


Anyway, I've discovered a lot of trance, a genre I've ignored since my fling with House music. I follow a podcast called Trance Around The World, a 2 hour weekly with Messrs. Above & Beyond, who visited Delhi on 19th. One of the elites in the 'DJ' world,(read, all electronic dance music artists hate the term 'DJ', notwithstanding guys such as a 'DJ Bunty', or popular Indian DJ, Aqueel) they generally give only 5% playtime to their own songs,and give the rest of the airtime to other artists and mixes. Also for the last half an hour, they have guest mixes by other EDM artists of the world. So it's my way to keep up with the happenings of the trance scene.






Moving on to the music I've heard, I thought I'd sum it up in the form of a small playlist, consisting of euphoric,vocal and progressive trance tracks,and I've appended a few trance and house tracks I've heard a while ago, but still make my house rumble.Trust me,this isn't your usual party mix.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






1. Orjan Nilsen - So Long Radio (Original mix)
2. D-Mad - She gave happiness (Arty mix)
3. Oliver Smith- Restless (Signalrunners mix)
4. Jordan Suckley - From paradise(John O'Bir mix)
5. Paul Keeley - Cloud 9
6. Gareth Emery - Sanctuary
7. Deadmau5 - Strobe [Must hear]
8. Prezioso & Marvin - The Riddle 
9. Andy Moor - Fake Awake
10. Kopi Luwak - Far & Away(Arthur Schmidt & Adymus mix) [Must hear]
11. Lange - Let it all out (Ft. Sarah Howells)
12. Medina - You & I (Deadmau5 mix) [MUST HEAR]
13. Serge Devant - Take me with you (Ft. Emma Hewitt)
14. Ercola vs. Heikki L - Deep At Night (Adam K & Soha mix) [MUST HEAR]


The last one has about 1023 plays on my iPod alone, so check this list out from bottom to top if you want. :) But be sure to check out the must hear's,lest you make perceptions about trance and house from the very first song.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------













I heard two John Mayer tracks this week, maybe you've heard them already. If you're looking for some soul in Blues, check out 'I Don't Need No Doctor'. Also give 'I can't trust myself' a spin (I think he made every chick fall in love with him by coming up with this).To me both of them are the 'song of the week', so choose your pick.



Thanks to Rudraksh for these two.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And that's it for this week. Watch this space.


Arrivederci
Audiophile 93


P.S.







Hilarious lyrics!


You kids think - your gear is iconic
But I'm gon
na take you back to see some real electronics 
gimme a beige PC, green text, black screen
and 64 kB of memory (thats plenty!)
forget a phone that fits in your pocket
I keep my phone in a bag in my car (thats how we rock it!)
who needs a camcorder, the size of my hand?!
you know I wanna look like a news cameraman!
(I wanna perch it on my shoulder...like an overweight parrot!)

my disks were floppy but my hair was stiff
and all my stickers were scratch and sniff!

In the 80s! If it was big it was good!
80s! My TV was wood!
80s! My car was shaped like box!
80s! Back when everything rocked!

You're tellin me mp3s oh, they're so great
I'd rather push rewind and sit and wait!
my first VCR cost me five grand
VHS is best! (I'm a Beta Man!)

16-button controllers really make me sick!
gimme one red button and a joystick!

In the 80s! the bigger the betta
80s! I had an antenna!
80s! my TV was thick
80s! we didn't point and click
80s! I had a big boom box
80s! I calculated with my watch
80s! My mix tapes were hot
80s! Back when everything rocked!















































































































Copyright © 2010 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.




    1 comment:

    1. Nice Nice!! :D
      Well i told you i'm not a trance type of guy...but i did like the Ercola vs. Heikki L number!

      Haha! Thanks for thanking me, John Mayer is awesome!!
      And the video!! xD xD

      ReplyDelete